Overview: The workshop combines lecture, demonstrations, development of pose modifications and, sequencing by participants, experience in breathing and meditation techniques. Ordinarily running from Friday evening, with full days Saturday and Sunday. Hours, and therefore program, may change slightly according to location.
- Introduction and outline of course, housekeeping
- Effects of Normal Aging: senses, bones and muscle, intellectual
- What older adults want from yoga and differing needs for different age groups.
- Department of Health and Aging Guidelines for senior exercise classes: Improving Strength, Endurance, Flexibility and Balance
- Continuing with guidelines
- Increasing energy levels and providing tools for stress relief (breathing and meditation)
- Common conditions of aging: osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, joint replacements, disc degeneration, high blood pressure
- Medical forms, medication issues, visual assessments
- Common diseases experienced by the elderly: COPD, heart disease, diabetes, eye diseases (cataracts, macular degeneration), movement disorders, dementia
- Communication issues
- Group dynamics (blended classes),
- regulatory issues
- Demonstration of blended class by participants or watch Stephanie teach an actual chair class of seniors.
Most modules will have a section where the workshop participants will develop pose modifications, sequences, etc. that meet the needs of aging students with different issues. Details of specific workshop locations, dates and times are available through the menu to your right. Please use the "book your workshop" button to reserve your place.
Total cost of face to face workshops is $400 + $200 for project mentoring. Payments can be made by direct deposit, or through Paypal - details are provided on the booking form.